- Wash your hands repeatedly through the day with soap and water or with alcohol-based hand sanitizers
- Avoid touching you mouth, nose or eyes with your hands unless they've been washed
- When coughing, cough into a tissue and throw it in the garbage
- If you cough into your hand, wash your hands immediately
- Sanitize surfaces that may have come into contact with the virus
- If you become ill with flu-like symptoms, stay home
With human flu, the virus is most contagious between the second and third days after infection -- sometimes before symptoms appear -- and the virus remains contagious for about a week in adults and up to 10 days in kids.