State health officials have confirmed one case of swine flu and dismissed another in San Mateo County, health officials reported Tuesday.
A posting Tuesday on the county's swine flu Web site said one of the two probable cases — a 50-year-old man from out of state — of the H1N1 influenza virus discovered last week has been verified. Test results for the other probable case — a 46-year-old woman from the Bay Area — came back negative.
In total, the county has tested 87 patient samples in the past week and a half for swine flu and found probable cases with only those two people. Both people had mild symptoms, officials said.
County Health System spokeswoman Doris Estremera did not return calls seeking comment Tuesday afternoon.
Statewide, 99 cases of the virus have been confirmed with another 119 cases considered probable, according to the state Department of Public Health.
Earlier this week, the county narrowed its swine flu testing guidelines, saying it is "no longer attempting to identify all cases" of the novel virus.
A memo sent out to local doctors on Monday instructed them to test only patients who are hospitalized or deceased and have severe respiratory illness or other complications from influenza. Outpatients with mild flu-like symptoms should not be tested, the county said.
For updated information on the flu, visit www.smhealth.org/swineflu.